Thursday, February 20, 2014

Super healthy granola bars

I usually buy granola bars for on-the-go convenience, but sometimes they are way too sweet and have a lot of extra fat and additives in them. >_< In general, granola bars are extremely easy to make at home, so why haven't I made them more often? I DON'T KNOW. I think I shall be making my own from now on actually. :) Plus I really like the idea of getting to play around with the ingredients.

Flaxseed --> fiber, protein, and omega-3 :)
Used a coffee grinder to grind up my flaxseed
Rolled oats, wheat germ, flaxseed, cinnamon, salt... and I only used 6 tablespoons of honey for the whole batch! More can be added, but I like them subtly sweet. 
Ginormous jar of organic extra virgin coconut oil
(Note: ok, so I know it's pretty debatable whether coconut oil is truly healthy or not... I'm currently working on a research paper that analyzes how coconut oil affects the lipid profile of adults...yes, very fun and informative stuff. ;) So far it appears safe, but there's still a lot of research that needs to be done with human subjects.
I personally like using coconut oil, BUT if you are cooking/baking with it, be sure to choose the unrefined/virgin kind!)

Yummeh!!! I added in coconut, dark chocolate chips, and dried cranberries
I baked these in an 8x8 pan and cut them into 10 bars. :)
I'm still tweaking around with the recipe, but these were really healthy and delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment