Monday, June 2, 2014

Healthy Homemade Dog Treats (4 Ingredients)

Time for another recipe for homemade dog treats! This one is suuuuper simple to make. AND it tastes pretty good too (yes, my sister and I actually tried some of the finished product).

I went over to my sister's place to bake, and she had what I thought were sweet potatoes in the pantry. However, when I cut one open, it was light purple on the inside! I think they were Okinawan sweet potatoes...anyway, either sweet potatoes or yams can be used for this recipe. :)

Oh! Instead of buying oat flour at the store, you can easily make it out of regular oats. I use a Vitamix to blend oats until they resemble coarse flour.

Banana, oat flour, sweet potato, and salt.
Mashed banana & Okinawan sweet potato
Ingredients
1 small banana
1 small sweet potato OR yam, steamed (directions below)
1 cup oat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 Tbsp water (optional)

Directions
1. Mash together the banana, steamed sweet potato/yam, and salt in a bowl. Mix in 1 cup of oat flour.
2. If mixture seems too dry, stir in 1-2 Tbsp of water. The dough should hold together in a ball, but not be too wet. 
3. Roll out the dough into a 1/4" layer. Use whatever cookie cutter you want to cut out shapes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake for ~30 minutes at 325 F°. (bake for 5-10 minutes longer depending on how crunchy you want your treats to be).
5. Let cool and store treats in an airtight container. :)


 
(To easily steam a small sweet potato or yam in the microwave, just prick it all over with a fork, loosely wrap it in a wet paper towel, and microwave it for about 5 minutes [may need a minute or two more depending on the size of the potato/yam]. The outside should be slightly soft. I let the yam cool for a few minutes, cut it in half, and scooped out the flesh into my mixing bowl.)

Cooling after baking :)
Waiting patiently...just so I could take the picture
Delicious, crunchy treats

No comments:

Post a Comment