Thursday, July 24, 2014

"Healthier" Chocolate Cake

I'm back! It's not that I haven't been baking recently--it's because I haven't been baking really healthy things. Yes, there's a reason why this blog is called "pretty healthy desserts." :

Anyway, I've been up since 2:30 am. Why? I have no idea. I tossed around for about hour and decided to just get up by the time it was 3:30 am.  I ate some food, got caught up on the latest episode of Masterchef, worked on some graduation stuff... then I decided to bake a cake.

This is a very simple, basic "black magic" chocolate cake. I've made black magic cakes before, and they are pretty delicious. I made a few changes to Hershey's popular recipe, and it still turned out delicious! This version has less sugar and less oil. The original recipe also calls for strong coffee...I was lazy and didn't want to make coffee, hah. If you want, just substitute half of the buttermilk for coffee. It brings out the chocolate flavor more.

"Healthier" Chocolate Cake (adapted from Hershey's black magic cake)

Finished cake topped with chocolate, almond butter, and shredded coconut
Ingredients
(Dry)
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used 3/4 cup all-purpose and 1/4 cup whole wheat)
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

(Wet)
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (you can substitute 1 cup water + 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Lightly grease a square 8x8 pan (for easier clean-up, line with aluminum foil and then grease)
2. Sift/whisk all the dry ingredients together. Make a well in the center and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir briskly until smooth.
3. Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and frost if desired.

Chocolate chips melting
I made a "frosting" by topping the cake with chocolate chips right after I pulled it out of the oven. The heat will cause the chocolate to melt. Wait for about half an hour for the cake to cool slightly, then add about 5 big spoonfuls of almond butter to the top; smooth to cover cake. The chocolate & almond butter will combine into one delicious spread. :) I added shredded coconut to the top to make it look more presentable.
Delicious!

My dog staring longingly at what he can't have...
I ate a piece and already want another! I like this cake because it's not too healthy to where it tastes like dry cardboard. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment